Malesus

         United Methodist Church

Pastors Since 1925

1925-26

J.R. Walker

1925-26

Cecil A. Baker

1926-28

J. Noble Wilford

1928-31

William Slaton Evans

1931-33

Chester L. Holmes

1933-35

J.W. Lewis

1935-39

W.A. Swift

1939

        W.D. Pickens

1940

        R.F. Wiley

1941

        J.W. Pursell

1942-44

Charles E. Stewart

1944

        A.M. Thomas

1945-47

L.L. Broadus

1947-49

J.E. Weir

1949-51

Walter E. Newburn

1951

        Charles A. Tripp

1952

        Whitesell H. Harpole

1953-57

Berkley L. Poole

1957-59

J.N. Forbes

1959-63

James W. Holmes

1963-66

W.T. Jackson

1966-71

O. Everett Roseberry

1971-73

John E. Stavely

1973-76

Carl E. Rhoades III

1976-79

Jerry L. Jeffords

1979-83

Paul L. Phillips

1983-88

E.H. Barnes

1988-92

W. Glenn Hill

1992-98

W. Kent Bailey

1998-2001

C. David Shettles

2001-2002

Joseph E. Moseley

2003-2014

L. Ray Chandler, Jr.

2014-2017

Dan Weathersbee

2017-

Travis Penney

Church History 1865   -   The   Methodist   people   in   this   area   became   a   worshipping congregation.    Their    meeting    place    was    the    Old    Black    Jack School    located    on    Old    Medon-Malesus    Road    approximately one-fourth mile north of the present Ebenezer Cemetery. 1867   -   On   September   28,   1867   the   trustees   of   this   congregation purchased   a   3   1/2   acre   tract   at   the   present   site   of   the   Ebenezer Cemetery   from   William   N.   Shelton   for   $36.75.   A   deed   was   made to the following trustees and their successors: Nathan M. Price George R. Scott George W. Nanney John L. Harton W. McKnight Charles W. Hudson William Booe 1869    -    The    congregation    relocated    to    the    new    property    and named   the   church   and   cemetery   "Ebenezer,"   a   biblical   name   (1 Samuel   7:12).   Early   families   of   the   church   in   addition   to   the above   named   included:   Newsom,   Raines,   Black,   Peters,   Dais, Robley, Shelton and Sherwood. 1894   -   Under   the   leadership   of   Rev.   R.   H.   Hood   an   acre   of   land at   the   present   location   was   bought   from   R.T.   McKnight   for   $50. The    Harris    Public    School    for    this    area    had    been    located    at Malesus    (on    what    is    now    known    as    Fitzgerald    Road.)    The railroad   station,   post   office   and   doctor's   office   at   Malesus   were also   influential   factors   in   the   move.   The   old   church   building   at Ebenezer    was    taken    apart    and    moved    on    flat    wagons    and reassembled   at   the   new   location.   This   original   church   building had   additions   and   alterations   through   the   years   but   was   used until   July   1981   when   it   was   demolished   to   make   way   for   the building of the new Sanctuary. 1948   and   1959   -   Additional   land   was   bought   adjacent   to   the church property. 1960   -   A   development   program   was   begun   under   the   leadership of   Rev.   James   H.   Holmes.   The   Ebenezer   wing   was   completed 1960. 1965 - The Wesley Wing was completed. 1975 - The Mack Watlington Fellowship Hall was completed. 1982   -   The   Sanctuary   was   completed.   The   Ebenezer   Chapel   was furnished   with   pews,   pulpit   and   dossal   from   the   old   church. Wainscoting   from   the   old   building   was   removed   and   installed in   the   chapel.   Memorabilia   was   placed   in   an   antique   bookcase. The   chapel   is   now   used   for   small   group   meetings   and   for   the Fellowship Sunday School Class. 1990   -   The   Church   celebrated   the   125th   anniversary   with   former pastor Dr. James Holmes speaking. 1993    -    The    Church    burned    a    note    of    debt    on    the    Sanctuary. Bishop   Kenneth   Carder   dedicated   the   building,   assisted   by   the District    Superintendent,    Dr.    Cecil    Kirk    and    the    pastor,    Rev. Kent    Bailey.    Dr.    William    S.    Evans,    Jr.    (assistant    to    Bishop Carder) and seven former pastors were present. 1994   -   The   Church   purchased   the   land   behind   the   church   to ensure future growth. 1995   -   On   May   21,   1995,   Malesus   UMC   celebrated   its   130th   year of   ministry   with   a   special   morning   fellowship   followed   by   a potluck.   That   evening   a   Vesper   Service   was   held   at   Ebenezer Cemetery, with different colored flags marking the gravesites. The    church    has    played    an    important    role    in    the    life    of    the Malesus    community.    Other    information    from    1865-1925    is available    in    the    historical    record    of    the    church,    Raised    from Ebenezer, printed in 1990.
As part of the 150th celebration a celebratory video featuring pictures from past years was made and is viewable by clicking on the play button in the thumbnail below.
On September 15, 2015 Malesus UMC celebrated it’s 150th anniversary. In addition to a special service that morning followed by a luncheon, and ending the day with a vespers service at Ebenezer Cemetery, several important documents were compiled concerning the church’s history. Links to these documents are below. They are in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. Just click on the links and the selected document will load if you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If not, you can download it for free at this link 1. A collection of memories from members and former pastors - compiled by Alan & Martha Morris 2. A collection of memories and recollections by one of our oldest members, Mrs. Nina Young 3. A Historical Timeline - a side-by-side listing of events in the church, in our local community, and regional and national events - compiled by church member Charles Watlington

 Malesus

         United Methodist Church

Pastors Since 1925

1925-26

J.R. Walker

1925-26

Cecil A. Baker

1926-28

J. Noble Wilford

1928-31

William Slaton Evans

1931-33

Chester L. Holmes

1933-35

J.W. Lewis

1935-39

W.A. Swift

1939

        W.D. Pickens

1940

        R.F. Wiley

1941

        J.W. Pursell

1942-44

Charles E. Stewart

1944

        A.M. Thomas

1945-47

L.L. Broadus

1947-49

J.E. Weir

1949-51

Walter E. Newburn

1951

        Charles A. Tripp

1952

        Whitesell H. Harpole

1953-57

Berkley L. Poole

1957-59

J.N. Forbes

1959-63

James W. Holmes

1963-66

W.T. Jackson

1966-71

O. Everett Roseberry

1971-73

John E. Stavely

1973-76

Carl E. Rhoades III

1976-79

Jerry L. Jeffords

1979-83

Paul L. Phillips

1983-88

E.H. Barnes

1988-92

W. Glenn Hill

1992-98

W. Kent Bailey

1998-2001

C. David Shettles

2001-2002

Joseph E. Moseley

2003-2014

L. Ray Chandler, Jr.

2014-2017

Dan Weathersbee

2017-

Travis Penney

Church History 1865   -   The   Methodist   people   in   this   area   became   a worshipping   congregation.   Their   meeting   place   was the    Old    Black    Jack    School    located    on    Old    Medon- Malesus   Road   approximately   one-fourth   mile   north   of the present Ebenezer Cemetery. 1867    -    On    September    28,    1867    the    trustees    of    this congregation   purchased   a   3   1/2   acre   tract   at   the   present site    of    the    Ebenezer    Cemetery    from    William    N. Shelton   for   $36.75.   A   deed   was   made   to   the   following trustees and their successors: Nathan M. Price George R. Scott George W. Nanney John L. Harton W. McKnight Charles W. Hudson William Booe 1869   -   The   congregation   relocated   to   the   new   property and    named    the    church    and    cemetery    "Ebenezer,"    a biblical   name   (1   Samuel   7:12).   Early   families   of   the church    in    addition    to    the    above    named    included: Newsom,   Raines,   Black,   Peters,   Dais,   Robley,   Shelton and Sherwood. 1894   -   Under   the   leadership   of   Rev.   R.   H.   Hood   an   acre of   land   at   the   present   location   was   bought   from   R.T. McKnight   for   $50.   The   Harris   Public   School   for   this area   had   been   located   at   Malesus   (on   what   is   now known   as   Fitzgerald   Road.)   The   railroad   station,   post office     and     doctor's     office     at     Malesus     were     also influential     factors     in     the     move.     The     old     church building   at   Ebenezer   was   taken   apart   and   moved   on flat   wagons   and   reassembled   at   the   new   location.   This original       church       building       had       additions       and alterations   through   the   years   but   was   used   until   July 1981   when   it   was   demolished   to   make   way   for   the building of the new Sanctuary. 1948   and   1959   -   Additional   land   was   bought   adjacent to the church property. 1960   -   A   development   program   was   begun   under   the leadership   of   Rev.   James   H.   Holmes.   The   Ebenezer wing was completed 1960. 1965 - The Wesley Wing was completed. 1975    -    The    Mack    Watlington    Fellowship    Hall    was completed. 1982   -   The   Sanctuary   was   completed.   The   Ebenezer Chapel   was   furnished   with   pews,   pulpit   and   dossal from     the     old     church.     Wainscoting     from     the     old building    was    removed    and    installed    in    the    chapel. Memorabilia   was   placed   in   an   antique   bookcase.   The chapel   is   now   used   for   small   group   meetings   and   for the Fellowship Sunday School Class. 1990   -   The   Church   celebrated   the   125th   anniversary with former pastor Dr. James Holmes speaking. 1993    -    The    Church    burned    a    note    of    debt    on    the Sanctuary.     Bishop     Kenneth     Carder     dedicated     the building,   assisted   by   the   District   Superintendent,   Dr. Cecil    Kirk    and    the    pastor,    Rev.    Kent    Bailey.    Dr. William   S.   Evans,   Jr.   (assistant   to   Bishop   Carder)   and seven former pastors were present. 1994    -    The    Church    purchased    the    land    behind    the church to ensure future growth. 1995   -   On   May   21,   1995,   Malesus   UMC   celebrated   its 130th     year     of     ministry     with     a     special     morning fellowship    followed    by    a    potluck.    That    evening    a Vesper   Service   was   held   at   Ebenezer   Cemetery,   with different colored flags marking the gravesites. The   church   has   played   an   important   role   in   the   life   of the    Malesus    community.    Other    information    from 1865-1925   is   available   in   the   historical   record   of   the church, Raised from Ebenezer, printed in 1990.
As part of the 150th celebration a celebratory video featuring pictures from past years was made and is viewable by clicking on the play button in the thumbnail below.
On September 15, 2015 Malesus UMC celebrated it’s 150th anniversary. In addition to a special service that morning followed by a luncheon, and ending the day with a vespers service at Ebenezer Cemetery, several important documents were compiled concerning the church’s history. Links to these documents are below. They are in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. Just click on the links and the selected document will load if you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If not, you can download it for free at this link 1. A collection of memories from members and former pastors - compiled by Alan & Martha Morris 2. A collection of memories and recollections by one of our oldest members, Mrs. Nina Young 3. A Historical Timeline - a side-by-side listing of events in the church, in our local community, and regional and national events - compiled by church member Charles Watlington

Pastors Since 1925

1925-26

J.R. Walker

1925-26

Cecil A. Baker

1926-28

J. Noble Wilford

1928-31

William Slaton Evans

1931-33

Chester L. Holmes

1933-35

J.W. Lewis

1935-39

W.A. Swift

1939

        W.D. Pickens

1940

        R.F. Wiley

1941

        J.W. Pursell

1942-44

Charles E. Stewart

1944

        A.M. Thomas

1945-47

L.L. Broadus

1947-49

J.E. Weir

1949-51

Walter E. Newburn

1951

        Charles A. Tripp

1952

        Whitesell H. Harpole

1953-57

Berkley L. Poole

1957-59

J.N. Forbes

1959-63

James W. Holmes

1963-66

W.T. Jackson

1966-71

O. Everett Roseberry

1971-73

John E. Stavely

1973-76

Carl E. Rhoades III

1976-79

Jerry L. Jeffords

1979-83

Paul L. Phillips

1983-88

E.H. Barnes

1988-92

W. Glenn Hill

1992-98

W. Kent Bailey

1998-2001

C. David Shettles

2001-2002

Joseph E. Moseley

2003-2014

L. Ray Chandler, Jr.

2014-2017

Dan Weathersbee

2017-

Travis Penney